I’m looking forward to the day we don’t discuss legal updates every couple of months. There’s been so much change in the private rental...
I’m looking forward to the day we don’t discuss legal updates every couple of months. There’s been so much change in the private rental sector, it’s been incredibly hard to keep a track of everything!
I thought I’d just update you on the latest changes, since if you fail to prepare you prepare to fail.
So where are we:
- To regain possession of your property, at the moment you need to give your tenant’s six months notice.
- From 1 June 2021 this notice period has been reduced to four months.
- From 1 October 2021, we should return to pre-pandemic notice periods of two months, subject to Covid of course.
- Depending on the grounds, but if you currently need six month’s notice from 1 June this will reduce to four.
- Where there are more than 4 months of arrears, the notice period will reduce to two months from 1 Aug 2021.
- You need to take into account the governments guidance on “Breathing Space” for Section 8 notices.
- The ban on bailiffs will come to an end on 31 May 2021.
What we advise:
- At the moment we outsource all Section 21 & Section 8 notices to legal professionals since it’s easy to get confused with the wrong notice period or not to provide the right information. We’d advise all landlords to do the same.
I hope you found this useful and for any landlords with agents, who don’t get a similar level of advice.
All you need to do is:
- Contact us today by phone or email to move your property to us.
- We’ll contact your letting agent to ensure a seamless transfer of the tenant including the deposit, keys and all paperwork.
- We’ll contact your tenant to resolve any rent, maintenance or refurbishment issues you have, arranging a property visit if required.
- We’ll begin the process of maximising your income and wealth. Let us make money for you!